• nicoleewise

Do I Still Need to Deal with my Old Municipal Court Charges???

Many people have quite old charges in municipal court that have not been dealt with. This may be because they didn't realize they received a summons, they forgot about something they received, or even just because they were in a bad place and didn't want to deal with what may have been received.

Up until this year, ALL of these charges and cases remained to be dealt with and most of the people with outstanding charges also had active warrants for their arrest.

BUT, in January 2019, the Supreme Court of New Jersey ordered the dismissal of MANY minor municipal court matters that are 15 years old or older. You can read the Court's press release regarding this decision HERE.

If a warrant was issued for your arrest before January 1, 2003, and a warrant was still in effect as of January 17, 2019, AND your charge was NOT one of the charges excluded from this program, it may have been dismissed. You can check to see if your charge has been dismissed on the list maintained by the New Jersey Courts HERE.

If you were charged with any of these offenses, your charge has not been dismissed and you must still address it with the court:

N.J.S.A. 39:3-10 Driving without a license

N.J.S.A. 39:3-10.13 Operating a commercial vehicle while intoxicated

N.J.S.A. 39:3-10.24 Refusal to submit to a breath test while operating a commercial vehicle

N.J.S.A. 39:3-10.18(b) Operating a commercial vehicle while commercial license suspended or revoked

N.J.S.A. 39:3-40 Driving while license suspended or revoked

N.J.S.A. 39:4-49.1 Drugs in a motor vehicle

N.J.S.A. 39:4-50 Driving while intoxicated

N.J.S.A. 39:4-50.4a Refusal to submit to a chemical test

N.J.S.A. 39:4-50.14 Underage driving while intoxicated

N.J.S.A. 39:4-50.19 Failure to install an interlock device

N.J.S.A. 39:4-96 Reckless driving

N.J.S.A. 39:4-98 Speeding (only those complaints in which the speed was alleged to be in excess of 35 mph over the posted speed limit)

N.J.S.A. 39:4-128.1 Passing a stopped school bus

N.J.S.A. 39:4-129(a), (b) Leaving the scene of an accident with personal injury or property damage

N.J.S.A. 39:6B-2 Driving without insurance

N.J.S.A. 12:7-46 Boating while intoxicated

If you have been charged with one of the above offenses, please contact my office so that we can discuss your matter. There are many defenses to these charges, and it is possible to resolve many of these cases favorably.

11 views0 comments